The story behind KÜHL, otherwise known as “cool” in German, starts with a man who moved to Utah with the intent of skiing at least a hundred days.
To do so at the age of 18, meant he had to live in a snow cave, and so he happily did.
Rewind a little over thirty years ago, and you’ll find Boyle, Jay, and Conrad (a now world-famous mountaineer) dreaming up the idea of starting an outdoor company.
Known initially as Alfwear in 1983, the team first got their start with a Peruvian-inspired piece known as the “Alf hat.” Shortly after introducing polar fleece to the hat, it would quickly become a Rocky Mountain powder skier favorite.
Over time, KUHL has grown from their humble hat beginnings onto a full outerwear clothing company. Today, you’ll find refreshingly different designs that stand out from the typical outdoor industry clothing style.
After having the opportunity to review so many different outdoor brands and pieces of gear, I have to say, KUHL has left me astonishingly surprised. Brilliant originality and stellar functionality are just the start, and they can be found virtually everywhere.
Each piece from KUHL takes the idea of “premium” to an entirely new level. And when they say, “born in the mountains,” they mean it!
Below, you’ll find my field-tested reviews covering their latest Wildkard Hybrid Hoodie, Firestorm Down Parka, and Kondor Krew Baselayer top.
Men’s KUHL Wildkard Hybrid Hoodie
– Available in olive, raven (black) and pirate blue
– Thermal body mapping design to insulate and regulate body temperature
– 60g Primaloft Gold Active Eco core insulation
– 40g Primaloft Gold Active Eco top sleeve insulation
– Mikro Air Stretch nylon main body and hood fabric
– Durable Tufflex softshell fabric on yoke and top sleeve for high-wear/tear protection
– Lightweight stretch softshell Reflex fabric underarm and at the side body
– DWR treatment for protection from the elements
– 21.5oz (612 gram) weight (size large)
– Unique sleeve stich details
– Elastic binding cuff
– Adjustable bottom hem drawcords
– 28” center front zipper length
– Moto-style back waistband
– Premium Metaluxe zippers
– 2 hand pockets
– 1 chest pocket
– Reflective trims for enhanced visibility
Men’s KUHL Firestorm Down Parka
– Available in olive and pirate blue color choices
– Thermal body mapping design for remarkable technical performance and style
– 20 denier nylon, DWR treated and high-tear strength shell construction
– 2-layer wool overlay on top and front sleeves
– DWR softshell yoke for added durability
– Responsibly sourced 800-fill goose down insulation
– Varied baffle sizes to reduce bulk and enhance warmth
– Larger front, back and sleeve baffles
– Water-resistant center front and pocket zippers
– Soft hand warmer pockets
– 2 zippered chest pockets
– 1 left interior zippered pocket
– Interior mesh pockets
– Extended inner cuffs
– KUHL signature thumb loops to seal out the cold
– Adjustable hood with side and back cordlock
– 26.5 oz. (752g) weight (size large)
Men’s KUHL Kondor Krew
– Midweight baselayer
– Merino Tuff Seamless fabric construction
– Naturally odor resistant wool with nylon blend for strength
– Seamless construction for all day and night comfort
– Reflective locker loop for simple storage and drying
– 55% Merino wool and 45% Nylon (5.9oz/sq. yd.; 200 GSM)
– KUHL signature thumb loops
– Small KUHL patch located on left upper arm
Olive Men’s KUHL Firestorm Down Parka Review
For colder conditions where I need a bit more warmth than my KUHL Wildkard Hybrid Hoodie, the Firestorm Down Parka really cranks up the heat. This workhorse features responsibly-sourced 800-fill goose down insulation alongside varied baffle sizes to cut back on the bulk and up the temps.
While moving around in the Firestorm Down Parka in the frigid cold, I came to really appreciate just how well KUHL’s thermal body mapping design works. When it comes to technical performance and of course, style, KUHL has managed to deliver on both enormously.
For durability, this simply put, one tough parka! You’ll find a 20 denier nylon, DWR treated high-tear strength shell construction. There’s also a 2-layer wool overlay on the front and top sleeves. For functionality, I love the included water-resistant center front and pocket zippers. Not to mention, the generously sized left interior zippered pocket, internal mesh pockets, and exterior double chest pockets.
Along with soft hand warmer pockets, KUHL has also managed to include extended inner cuffs, and their signature thumb loops to lock out the cold weather. Throw in the adjustable hood and hem, and this parka is a must-own piece for the fall and winter season.
Black Men’s KUHL Kondor Krew Long Sleeve Midweight Baselayer
Meet the beast of a base layer, or as KUHL simply calls it, the Kondor Krew. One look at this long sleeve top will reveal some incredibly neat stitch work that screams durability. A Merino Tuff Seamless fabric construction offers plenty of warmth for those frigid winter ski sessions while feeling exceptional to the touch.
For the Kondor Krew, KUHL has added in a nylon blend to increase strength while the naturally odor-resistant wool, works its own wonders. To up the utility, you’ll also find KUHL’s signature thumb loops, plus a reflective locker loop for simple storing and drying.
After hitting the slopes with this midweight baselayer on, I was left super impressed at the end of the day. In comparison to other baselayers I own, this one is genuinely the creme de la creme! Love it.
Olive Men’s KUHL Wildcard Hybrid Hoodie Review
When I need something lightweight yet, incredibly warm for an extended hike in the winter, the men’s KUHL Wildkard Hybrid hoodie is my go to. With a unique thermal body mapping design, insulation and body temperature regulation are in my opinion, perfected.
You’ll find 60 grams of Primaloft Gold Active Eco for the core insulation and 40 grams for the sleeves. Beyond the comforts of toasty warmth, this KUHL hoodie does a beautiful job at offering protection for the elements. Each arrives with a DWR treatment, alongside a Tufflex soft shell fabric on the yoke and top sleeve for high-wear/tear protection. Of course, durability is easily recognizable thanks to the stunning stitch work found everywhere.
With a premium construction in mind, you’ll also find a Mikro Air Stretch nylon main body and hood fabric. For the underarm and body side, KUHL has opted to go with a lightweight and stretchable softshell Reflex fabric.
Regarding freedom of movement, this hoodie feels ridiculously natural to wear around. Add in the elastic binding cuff, adjustable bottom hem drawcords, moto-style back waistband, and metaluxe zippers, and you’ve gone one incredible, body-hugging hoodie for those frigid temps.
For storage, you’ll find two hand pockets plus one chest pocket. To finish off the stylish look and enhance your visibility while outdoors, KUHL has added reflective trims.
All said and done; this hoodie means business! It’s packed with a ton of features and durable details to love. For the fall and winter, the men’s KUHL Wildkard Hybrid Hoodie is indeed an exceptional piece to own. I treasure mine!