50 Weird Laws in the US You Won’t Believe Are Real
The good old US of A is a strange place at the best of times. It’s full of weird and wonderful people from all walks of life and there is never a dull moment in the country that bleeds red, white, and blue. The United States also has some head-scratching laws that are still in place today. These weird laws in the US are often bizarre and downright insane and it’s hard to believe they are still in existence.
As anyone familiar with American politics knows, getting laws changed is nearly impossible. Just look at the Constitution. There is no way anyone is going to touch that, even though it is completely out of touch with modern society. But let’s not focus on that and bring our attention back to these crazy laws found throughout America.
Many of them are unbelievable and make no sense. It’s hard to fathom how these dumb laws were ever created in the first place. Did you know that culinary students in Illinois can drink wine under the age of 21 as long as they spit it out? Or that it is illegal to wear a fake mustache when attending church in Alabama?
We have scoured the internet and found the weirdest laws from all 50 states in America. So read on and discover more about the strangest laws in the United States of America.
1. Alabama – It’s Illegal To Drive Blindfolded
Why you would be driving blindfolded in the first place is anyone’s guess, but just to make sure, Alabama created a law making it illegal. Lawmakers in the Heart of Dixie have another rule whereby you can not drive your car if you can’t see out of the front windscreen or the side windows, which to be fair, makes much more sense than the blindfold law.
Other strange laws from Alabama include not being able to wear a mustache to church (in case you make people laugh), the banning of bear wrestling, and the fact that you can’t put ice cream in your back pocket.
2. Alaska – It’s Illegal To Wake a Sleeping Bear for a Photo
You shouldn’t be getting anywhere near a bear whether it is sleeping or not. This weird law in Alaska states that waking a bear while it is sleeping to get a selfie is a no-no. Despite being a strange law, it makes a lot of sense.
3. Arizona – It’s Illegal for a Donkey To Sleep in a Bathtub
This dumb law dates all the way back to the 1920s. A local dam burst and flooded a rancher’s home. Now, this rancher owned a donkey who would often sleep in the bathtub. When the house flooded, it took the tub and the donkey with it. The retrieval of the donkey was a costly experience, so the local government decided to pass a law whereby donkeys could no longer sleep in bathtubs to stop this from ever happening again.
4. Arkansas – It’s Illegal To Pronounce Arkansas the Wrong Way
The people of Arkansas really don’t like it when people pronounce the name of their state wrong. So they made a law that states saying Arkansas wrong is a criminal offense. Another weird law from Arkansas is that you can’t honk your horn in the vicinity of a sandwich shop after 9 pm.
5. California – It’s Illegal To Eat a Frog That Has Died During a Frog Jumping Competition
This bizarre law states that “Any person may possess any number of live frogs to use in frog-jumping contests, but if such a frog dies or is killed, it must be destroyed as soon as possible, and may not be eaten or otherwise used for any purpose.” To be fair, this is another weird law that does make sense.
6. Colorado – It’s Illegal To Ride a Horse Drunk
If you’ve had a few too many in Colorado it’s best to hand over your keys, or the reins to your horse. Riding under the influence is not on. You also can’t keep a couch on your front porch. This law was introduced after kids at the University of Colorado started burning them.
7. Connecticut – A Pickle Must Be Able To Bounce
After two fellas were arrested in 1948 for selling pickles unfit for human consumption, Connecticut passed a law that says only pickles that bounce can be sold. At least you know the pickle on your burger is always fresh in Connecticut.
8. Delaware – It’s Illegal for Drive-In Theatres To Show R-Rated Movies
This law was passed in 1974 to make sure people passing by didn’t catch a glimpse of anything that shouldn’t. Other strange Delaware laws include no whispering in church and the fact that you can’t sell dog hair.
9. Florida – Animals Left in Parking Spaces Must Pay Fee
This Florida law is believed to have been put in place during the 1920s when the Ringling Bros. Circus moved to Florida.
10. Georgia – It’s Illegal To Eat Fried Chicken With a Knife and Fork
They love their chicken down South and this law prevents anyone from eating the delightful food with a knife and fork. The law was passed in 1961 and in 2009 a 91-year-old woman was arrested for not eating chicken with her hands, but it turned out to be just a bit of fun.
See more about - 95 Weird American Facts You Won’t Believe Are True
11. Hawaii – It’s Illegal for Police To Have Sex With Prostitutes During Work
This isn’t really that weird of a law. Stopping police from getting the booty while working makes total sense. Hawaii is full of weird rules, with it against the law to have two alcoholic drinks sitting in front of you, get a tattoo behind your ear, and eat your second wife.
12. Idaho – It’s Illegal To Gift Someone a Box of Chocolates Weighing More Than 50 Pounds
Nobody should be eating that much chocolate. This law is a good thing and one that no doubt saves a few lives.
13. Illinois – It’s Legal for Underage Culinary Students To Drink Alcohol
The “Sip and Spit” law means that those under 21 who attend culinary school are allowed to drink alcohol as long as they spit it out as a way to taste it for their course. It was passed in 2012.
14. Indiana – It’s Illegal To Kiss Somone If You Have a Mustache
Men with a caterpillar above their lips cannot kiss women in public. Also, no kiss can last for more than five minutes.
15. Iowa – It’s Illegal To Throw a Brick Onto the Freeway
This sensible law is only applicable to residents of Mount Vernon. Another law also says that one-armed piano players must play for free.
16. Kansas – If Two Trains Meet on a Track Neither Shall Pass Until the Other Has
This law makes no sense and is actually just poorly worded so it seems like neither train can go anywhere.
17. Kentucky – It’s Illegal for a Woman To Marry the Same Man Four Times
If three times isn’t a charm then you can forget about the fourth time in Kentucky. You also can’t dye a duckling blue and sell it unless you have six or more ducklings painted blue up for grabs.
18. Louisiana – It’s Illegal To Send Someone a Surprise Pizza
You can receive a fine of up to $500 if you want to surprise someone with a pizza.
19. Maine – It’s Illegal To Park in Front of a Dunkin’ Donuts
This law only applies to Dunkin Donuts in South Berwick where the parking lot can turn into a traffic jam if not kept clear.
20. Maryland – It’s Illegal To Wear Sleeveless T-Shirts in Public
Happy with this one. Nobody needs to see your skinny arms as you’re out jogging.
See more about - 70 Weird History Facts That Have To Be Read To Be Believed
21. Massachusetts – It’s Illegal To Tell Fortunes Without Certification.
At least you know they are qualified. It’s also illegal to own exploding golf balls.
22. Michigan – It’s Illegal for a Woman To Cut Her Own Hair Without Her Husband’s Permission
This archaic rule makes absolutely no sense and should be abolished.
23. Minnesota – It’s Illegal To Drive With Dirty Tyres
They are considered a public nuisance so make sure they are nice and clean before cruising into town.
24. Mississippi – It’s Illegal To Swear in Public
Keep the profanities to a minimum when in Mississippi or you might end up with a $100 fine or behind bars.
25. Missouri – It’s Illegal To Wrestle a Bear
Again, why would you want to get this close to a bear? It’s also illegal to drive with an uncaged bear in your car.
26. Montana – It’s Illegal To Usher Sheep Onto a Railway With the Intent To Kill
This one is super weird. If you guide sheep onto a railway line in the hope they will be run over you could be fined up to $50,000 and get locked up for five years.
27. Nebraska – It’s Illegal To Marry If You Have an STI
Considering millions of people in the US have had or currently have an STI, there are probably not a lot of weddings happening in Nebraska these days.
28. Nevada – It’s Illegal To Drive a Camel on the Highway
This law is weird but understandable.
29. New Hampshire – It’s Illegal To Take Seaweed From the Beach at Night
This law came into effect in 1973 and was most likely created to stop farmers from stealing large amounts of seaweed and using it as fertilizer.
30. New Jersey – It’s Illegal To Wear a Bullet Proof Vest When Committing a Crime
Not sure whether this has decreased crime in New Jersey or not but it’s sure to make criminals think twice.
See more about - 80 Interesting Facts About Life That Will Surprise You
31. New Mexico – Idiots Are Banned From Voting
This law isn’t being policed enough considering Donald Trump got elected in 2016.
32. New York – It’s Illegal To Wear Slippers After 10 PM
Considering nobody really knows what you are doing in the comfort of your own home at night, it’s unlikely you will be caught if you decide to wear your slippers after 10 pm.
33. North Carolina – It’s Illegal To Use Elephants To Plow Cotton Fields
This came about after elephants destroyed fields while the Barnum & Bailey Circus was in town demonstrating their show. You’re also not allowed to drink alcohol while playing bingo.
34. North Dakota – It’s Illegal To Lie Down and Fall Asleep With Your Shoes On
Sleeping with your shoes on is never ideal, but to think you can be fined for doing so is preposterous.
35. Ohio – It’s Illegal To Get Fish Drunk
Putting a dish in a bowl of alcohol is not a good idea.
36. Oklahoma – It’s Illegal To Trip a Horse
Why would you want to trip a horse in the first place? That’s just cruel.
37. Oregon – It’s Illegal To Go Hunting in a Cemetery
Established in 1972, this law is meant to keep cemeteries safe from people trampling through the grounds hunting animals.
38. Pennslyvania – It’s Illegal To Go See a Fortune Teller
Psychics and the like find it hard to make a living in Pennslyvania.
39. Rhode Island – It’s Illegal To Bite Off Someone’s Limb
The penalty for putting out an eye, slitting the nose, ear, or lip, or cutting off, biting off, or disabling any limb or member of another is a minimum of 20 years.
40. South Carolina – It’s Illegal To Play Pinball If Under Age
How many childhoods were ruined by this silly rule?
See more about - 100 Weird Facts About The Human Body
41. South Dakota – It’s Illegal To Sleep in a Cheese Factory
This law was believed to have been introduced to stop people from falling asleep while operating and driving heavy machinery. Dozing off while using heavy machinery in a cheese factory isn’t smart, so it’s not as strange of a law as it sounds.
42. Tennesse – It’s Illegal To Share You Netflix Password
This is a rather recent law introduced in 2011 that is meant to stop hackers from stealing passwords and selling them, but we all know it’s just Netflix’s way of making you pay for your own subscription.
43. Texas – It’s Illegal To Sell an Eye
The black market human organ trade doesn’t do so well down in Texas.
44. Utah – It’s Illegal To Drink Milk
Too bad if you are lactose intolerant. You also can’t bite during a boxing match.
45. Vermont – It’s Illegal for Women To Wear False Teeth Without Their Husbands Consent
I’m sure most husbands would be fine with their wife wearing false teeth if they had too.
46. Virginia – It’s Illegal To Trick or Treat if You Are Over 14
Can’t really see a problem with this strange law. Trick or Treating should be for the kids anyway.
47. Washington – It’s Illegal To Harass Bigfoot
As more sightings of Bigfoot occurred, Washington decided to implement this crazy rule to protect the creatures, even though they don’t exist.
48. West Virginia – It’s Illegal To Whistle Under Water
How would anyone know you are disobeying this law? You also can’t wear hats at the movies in case they obstruct someone else’s view of the screen.
49. Wisconsin – It’s Illegal To Serve a Butter Substitute in Prison
Everyone should be afforded the right to real butter.
50. Wyoming – It’s Illegal To Take Photographs of Rabbits From January Until April
This wacky law was put in place in 1921 and means people have to apply for a pass to photograph a rabbit during this time.
See more about - 14 Interesting Facts About Hollywood