Top 47+ Best Black Bear Tattoo Ideas – [2021 Inspiration Guide]
You can find all kinds of bears roaming the wild. They’re eternally popular tattoo motifs as a symbol of strength, confidence, and fierce protection.
One of the most recognizable is the black bear, the smallest and most widespread of North American bears.
The black bear can also symbolize solitude, rest, relaxation, and transformation – which is why they’re often associated with medicine and healing and have a strong connection to Native American folklore.
The black bear is popular for a range of different collectors, from those who enjoy the mountains and great outdoors, to those who love an old school style tattoo or simple black ink tatt.
No matter what the black bear may mean to you, you’re sure to enjoy this collection of the Top 47+ Best Black Bear tattoo design ideas which will provide inspiration for your next piece of body art.
1. Black Bear Tattoo Ideas for the Chest
2. Forearm Black Bear Tattoo Ideas
3. Geometric Black Bear Tattoo Ideas
4. Black Bear Hand Ink
5. Black Bear Border Mountain Tattoos
6. Realistic Black Bear Tattoo Ideas
7. Black Bear Designs for the Shoulder
8. Small Black Bear Tattoo Ideas
9. Black Bear Thigh Tattoo Design
10. American Traditional Black Bear Ink
Black Bear Tattoo FAQs
The black bear is the smallest and most widespread of North American bears.
The Black bear is a popular tattoo subject for:
- Strength, confidence, and protection
- Those who enjoy the mountains and great outdoors
- Those who love an old school style tattoo or simple black ink tattoos
- To symbolize solitude, rest, relaxation, and transformation
Bears are admired for their physical strength as well as being representatives of both the brutal and gentle aspects of nature: the mother bear is a tender parent, but a fierce protector of her cubs.
A tattoo artist and collector have plenty of ideas when choosing to ink a black bear tattoo or grizzly. Some of the most popular design styles include:
- American traditional black bear tattoos
- Realistic bear ink
- Geometric black bear tattoos
- Cartoon bear and teddy bear tattoo designs
- Bears in the forest tattoo art
- Roaring bear tatts
- Bears outlining forest and camping scenes
Bears have been represented in almost every culture, from the Old Testament and ancient Norse mythology through to extensive representation in Native American folklore.
Siberians viewed the bear to be one of their forefather’s spirits, while Korean mythology has been said to see bears as past ancestors.
The black bear is tied up in many stories related to health and medicine for many Native American tribes. For the Sioux, the bear symbolizes healing and the honor of a successful hunt.
An easy two-tone black bear tattoo on the forearm or shoulder can take an hour or two and cost as low as $200, while large complex pieces might start at $1000 and climb higher for painstaking dot work detail, a realistic roaring bear, or badass American traditional image.
The average cost for an experienced artist is usually around $150 – $200 an hour.
Make sure before you commence your bear piece that you understand the cost framework, and allow 15% on top of the expected total to tip your artist.