Chrome Industries – Summoner And Barrage Backpack Plus Men’s Storm Seeker Shell Review
From the original Boulder, Colorado garage in 1995 to the present day, Chrome Industries has remained consistent on making their gear indestructible.
While the company itself has moved around over the years from Boulder to Denver, San Francisco, and Portland Oregon, a few things have remained unchanged:
Industrial durability, innovative functionality, and brilliant utility.
Even with well over twenty years under their belt, you’ll still find their signature seat-belt buckles and webbing making an appearance.
When I had the chance to look over their latest messenger and laptop bags, backpacks, cycling apparel and so on at Outdoor Retailer, I knew I wanted to put their gear to the test.
In doing so, I finally was able to understand why Chrome Industries backs their footwear and apparel with a 365-day warranty, and their packs with a lifetime warranty. The reality is, everything they make is damn near bombproof!
In my Chrome Industries Summoner backpack, Barrage Cargo backpack and men’s Storm Seeker Shell review below, you’ll find all the unique features that make their gear built for the real world.
– Two separate compartments
– Front panel access zipper
– Top panel access zipper with coating
– Dedicated 15” laptop sleeve with coated zipper
– Internal storage pockets for pens to notebooks
– Numerous fast access pockets for small items
– Cinch-down straps with containment feature
– Polyester and 600D Twill mélange fabric
– 70D nylon liner
– 32 Liter Volume
– 13” Width x 19.5” Height x 8.5” Depth
– Side pull handle
– Sternum strap
– 365 to life warranty
Barrage Cargo Backpack
– Available in all black, indigo, gargoyle grey, and camo color options.
– 365 to life warranty
– Fully-welded waterproof 18oz tarpaulin liner
– Adjustable exterior cargo net
– Fits up to a 17 inch MacBook Pro laptop
– Simple access side U-lock and water bottle pockets
– Load distributing sternum strap with quick release push plate buckle
– Rolltop closure allows for adjusting load size
– Abrasion-resistant 1050d nylon exterior
– Ergonomic shoulder strap
– Breathable and comfortable EVA foam back panel
– 22-liter volume
– 11.5” width x 21” height x 5.5” depth
Men’s Storm Seeker Shell
– Available in black and true blue color options
– Ventilated armpit with waterproof zippers
– Raglan sleeve for enhanced mobility
– Double zippered chest pockets with ventilated mesh
– Generously sized tail and arms for coverage in the drops
– 6-panel hood with 3-point adjustment system
– Fully seam taped and waterproof jacket construction
– Adjustable bottom hem
– Reflective back of arm sleeves flange detail
– 2-way waterproof front center zipper
– 2.5 layer 100% poly softshell fabric construction
– Classic fit
– Wire brim hood
Black Men’s Chrome Industries Storm Seeker Shell Review
Sure, the men’s Storm Seeker Shell doesn’t precisely fit into the typical outdoor jacket fashion, but that’s one of the reasons I love it. From the remote mountains to the local bar back in town, the styling is incredibly sleek and fitting for virtually anywhere you go.
Best of all, the technical performance is all there. After hiking with this jacket on, I didn’t even want to take off after I finally got back home. To say the Storm Seeker Shell is comfortable is an understatement; it’s phenomenal.
Of course, it’s waterproof too with a fully-taped construction making it the perfect go-to choice for biking in the city. Factor in the ventilated armpits, a 6-panel hood, Raglan sleeve, among other things and you’ve got one rock-solid shell for virtually any outdoor activity. Bring on the harsh elements; this shell was built to handle them with ease.
Black Chrome Industries Summoner Backpack Review
New to the Chrome Industries line is the Modal Collection, featuring one of my favorite packs, the Summoner backpack. With two separate compartments and plenty of internal storage options at hand, carrying all your cargo couldn’t be any easier.
On the exterior, you’ll find a durably beautiful polyester / 600D twill mélange fabric. In person and up close, the surface is just stunning to look at. Beyond the charming good looks of this backpack, the Summoner delivers huge on functionality.
On the interior of the 32-liter Summoner, you’ll find a 70D nylon liner, pockets for pens to notebooks, a dedicated 15” laptop sleeve, two separate compartments and a handful of smaller sized pockets for quick access.
To compact down the profile of this pack when it’s filled up with gear, the cinch-down straps are a golden addition I’ve come to enjoy.
All Black Chrome Industries Barrage Cargo Backpack Review
If the 22-liter Barrage Cargo backpack isn’t large enough, you might be pleased to know Chrome Industries also offers an 85-liter version with their Pro version. For myself, the Cargo version was all the room I’d ever need.
Thanks to an adjustable exterior cargo net, you can expand this backpack to fit a ton of gear. In my field test, I was able to fit a helmet inside the net with ease.
Beyond the cargo net, you’ll find a fully-welded waterproof 18oz tarpaulin liner, rolltop closure, abrasion-resistant 12050d nylon exterior and much more. When it comes to the rolltop closure feature, I was able to comfortably fit a 15” MacBook Pro inside (latest gen), with more room to spare for a 17”. With laptops removed, I liked how the Barrage Cargo was able to be compacted down to adjust for the load size.
Other nice touches I discovered along the way included the side U-lock, water bottle pockets, load distributing sternum strap with a signature quick release seat-belt style buckle, comfortable padded shoulder strap, metal strap adjustments, and breathable EVA foam back panel.
For rides out in the city while on the bike, this pack is a dream come true. The engineering, durability, and protection from the outdoor elements have left me thoroughly impressed! Back all of that with Chrome Industries lifetime warranty and this pack is a winner.