When it comes to quality craftsmanship, a rare find in today’s modern age, the Swiss Katadyn Pocket water filter is truly top notch.
Perhaps that’s why it comes with an impressive 20-year guarantee.
Unlike most other water filters out there, I actually enjoy taking this one out of my pack. And not just because it looks so incredibly beautiful, but because I know it’s built to take a beating.
Great materials like aluminum, stainless steel, silicone, and ceramic are ones you can dependably rely on when your gear is all you’ve got to survive on.
Factor in as few moving parts as possible and the Katadyn Pocket is a winner in my book. Below, you’ll find my Katadyn Pocket review in greater detail alongside my impressions of field testing this ceramic water filter.
– Field-cleanable silver-impregnated ceramic filter element
– 0.2 microns filter (0.002mm pores)
– Eliminates bacteria, protozoa, cysts, algae, spores and sediments
– Output approx. 1 liter per min.
– Filters up to 50,000 liters (13,000 gallons) depending on water quality
– Weighs approx. 550 grams
– 20 year guarantee
– Aluminum, stainless steel, silicone and ceramic construction
– Includes prefilter, bottle adapter, abrasive cleaning pads, ceramic filter measuring gauge, and carry bag
– Outlet hose features metal clip which attaches to most bottles
– Few moveable parts for simple and minimal maintenance
– Ergonomic round pump handle for ease of pumping
Katadyn Pocket Water Filter Review
With a 0.2 microns field-cleanable, silver-impregnated ceramic filter removing impurities like bacteria, cysts, algae, spores, sediments, and protozoa, is a breeze.
Simply drop the input hose into any water source and adjust the foam floating device up or down as needed. Clamp the output hose to your water bottle (in my case a Nalgene and Camelbak) or bladder, and pump away. While it does take some pumping action to get going, luckily the round handle is rather comfortable to use, and the base is easy to grip onto with your entire hand.
In terms of output, you’ll see around 1 liter per min.
For filter life, the Katadyn Pocket’s ceramic filter element handles an impressive 50,000 liters or 13,000 gallons depending on the quality of water. Best of all, Katadyn also includes abrasive cleaning pads plus a measuring gauge to make maintenance as easy as it can get.
At around 550 grams you might say it’s on the heavier side, about the same as an MSR Guardian, yet, I’ll easily take the extra weight in exchange for an essential piece of gear I know will get the job done every single time. In reality, for the build quality, I’m stunned Katadyn has managed to get this water filter to weigh as little as it does.