For centuries professional boxers have stepped into the (physical and metaphorical) bearing a number of tattoos pronouncing their strength, tenactiy, culture, and familial loyalties.
For many, their tattoos were their badges of victory.
While the popularity of boxing has not waned with the years, the height of our adoration seems suspended in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when many men made their way by their bare-knuckled strength. Breath-snatching renderings of antiquated boxer symbols have taken on a style legacy of their own, worn by the bespoke gentleman who, underneath his exquisite attire, is a fighter to the end.
A particularly memorable boxing motif features a fighting figure accompanied by a banner on which words of encouragement are scrawled, such as “Begone sadness, begone woe, and come hither my friend, hope.” Those bearing a proud Irish heritage may select a line of Celtic poetry or popular verse.
From top-hatted mustachioed boxers to a symbolic pair of gloves, to even a more lighthearted kangaroo boxing depiction, traditional boxer tattoos mark an undefeated spirit, no matter how many fights life brings your way. Whoever throws the punches, it’s important to never stay down; we must rise stronger and wiser and more assured than before we hit the ground.
Wear your boxer tattoo on your shoulder, forearm, or chest to let the world know that while your fists may not be up, they’re still at the ready.
1. Forearm Traditional Boxer Tattoos
2. Arm Traditional Boxer Tattoos
3. Bicep Traditional Boxer Tattoos
4. Chest Traditional Boxer Tattoos
5. Calf Traditional Boxer Tattoos
6. Side Traditional Boxer Tattoos
7. Leg Traditional Boxer Tattoos
8. Thigh Traditional Boxer Tattoos
9. Stomach Traditional Boxer Tattoos
10. Foot Traditional Boxer Tattoos
11. Hand Traditional Boxer Tattoos