110 Music Trivia Questions to Test Your Knowledge
Music has been an inseparable part of human civilization, transcending borders, generations, and cultures. It holds the remarkable power to evoke emotions, ignite memories, and create connections between people. Beyond its enchanting melodies and captivating rhythms, music is also a realm brimming with intriguing stories, hidden facts, and surprising details that often escape our attention.
Welcome to the world of music trivia questions–a treasure trove of knowledge that unravels the mysteries and curious tales behind the songs we love. In this article, we embark on a melodic journey that spans across genres, from classical masterpieces to contemporary chart-toppers, exploring the lesser-known aspects of music history and lore.
No matter what genre resonates with your soul–be it the timeless elegance of classical compositions, the soul-stirring harmonies of jazz, the pulsating beats of hip-hop, the electrifying energy of rock, or the infectious melodies of pop – there are fascinating stories waiting to be discovered. From the genesis of iconic bands to the inspirations behind chart-topping hits, music trivia questions offer a captivating glimpse into the inner workings of the music industry and the artists who shape it.
This article aims to provide a comprehensive selection of music trivia questions that encompass all genres, ensuring there is something for every music enthusiast. Whether you’re a devoted fan of Mozart or a connoisseur of contemporary chart-toppers, we have meticulously curated a collection of facts, anecdotes, and musical curiosities that will entertain, educate, and delight.
Prepare to immerse yourself in the world of music as we explore the backstories of legendary albums, the unexpected collaborations that shaped musical landscapes, the surprising origins of catchy lyrics, and the pivotal moments in music history that forever changed the course of the industry.
So, tune in, turn up the volume, and join us on this captivating journey as we unlock the melodic mysteries, embracing the enchanting world of music trivia questions across all genres. Get ready to test your knowledge, challenge your friends, and expand your understanding of the music that moves us all.
See more about - 141 Disney Trivia Questions To Test Your Knowledge
1. Who was the first woman ever inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Aretha Franklin Read
2. Before Bleachers and fun., Jack Antonoff fronted what band?
3. What singer has had a Billboard No. 1 hit in each of the last four decades?
4. Formed in 2005, Nick, Joe, and Kevin form what family pop rock band that rose to popularity on the Disney Channel?
5. What was Freddie Mercury’s real name?
6. In 1987, what George Michael song was banned by the BBC for being too racy?
“I Want Your Sex”
7. What rock guitarist played on the Michael Jackson song “Beat It“?
Eddie Van Halen
8. Annie Lennox is one half of the pop group the Eurythmics. Who is the other?
9. What was the first video played on MTV on Aug. 1, 1981?
10. Who was the first American Idol winner?
11. What 1989 Cher video was banned from MTV because of her revealing outfit?
“If I Could Turn Back Time”
12. Which band accused Led Zeppelin of stealing the opening riff of their megahit “Stairway To Heaven?”
13. Before Miley Cyrus recorded “Wrecking Ball,” it was offered to which singer?
14. What musician was deported from Japan in the 1980s for possession of marijuana?
15. In 1986, Janet Jackson released what chart-topping album?
16. What year did Elvis Presley have his first hit with the song “Heartbreak Hotel?”
17. Which American rapper originally went by the name Lesane Parish Crooks?
18. A string quarter is traditionally composed of one cello, one viola, and two of which instrument?
19. What was the original name of the band Green Day when they first started?
20. Which famous music group was formerly known as the New Yardbirds?
21. What is Lady Gaga’s real name?
Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta
22. Wagner’s “Ride of the Valkyries” plays while military helicopters fly over Vietnam in a famous scene from what 1979 Francis Ford Coppola film?
23. What actor and comedian appeared in the video for the Paul Simon song “You Can Call Me Al”?
24. Who sand with The Wailers?
25. What rock icon was the founder of The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-haired Men
26. Which Super Bowl Halftime Show performer was upstaged by a dancing shark?
Katy Perry Read
27. What date was the inaugural Woodstock festival held?
August 15, 1969
28. A 1933 Ford 3 window coupe with suicide doors features on the cover of which ZZ Top album?
29. What sub-genre of alternative metal came to prominence in the late 90s thanks to bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Papa Roach?
30. Jon Bon Jovi wrote the song “Blaze of Glory” for which 1990 Western movie?
Young Guns II
31. Which K pop group became the first Korean artist to headline Coachella in 2023?
32. Whitney Houston had a number-one hit with her cover of which Dolly Parton original?
“I Will Always Love You.”
33. How did Otis Redding die?
In a plane crash.
34. Who is the lead singer of Pearl Jam?
35. The song “Castle on the Hill” by Ed Sheeran was about which castle in real life?
C. Framlingham Castle
36. “Someone You Love” singer Lewis Capaldi suffers from which common neurodevelopmental disorder?
37. Brothers Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb formed which pop group in the late 1950s?
The Bee Gees
38. Name the red-headed British singer who released the 1987 song “Never Gonna Give You Up.”
39. Which Bob Dylan song did the Jimi Hendrix Experience cover and have a hit with?
“All Along the Watchtower”
40. In The Big Lebowski, The Dude can’t stand which band?
41. The Grateful Dead’s highly-devoted fanbase is known as what?
42. What is the name of the band who wrote the song that inspired Lady GaGa’s stage name?
43. Beverly Hills Cop star Eddie Murphy had a chart-topping hit in December 1985 with which song?
“Party All the Time”
44. What is the name of the Disney Broadway Musical soundtrack that Phil Collins wrote the lyrics for?
45. Before using his real last name, John Mellencamp went by what stage name?
46. What rock star moonlights as a horror movie writer and director?
47. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is situated in what US State?
48. What is the name of the rap artist who has won four Grammy Awards and received nominations for five Golden Globe Awards and two Academy Awards?
49. Who is the lead singer of Smash Mouth?
50. What film did The Clash’s Joe Strummer direct starring some of his bandmates?
Cops and Robbers
51. In this 1985 Tears for Fears song, “everybody wants to rule” what?
52. Drake became the first artist to reach one billion streams with which song?
53. Where did Billie Eilish record her first studio album?
In her brother’s bedroom.
54. Eminem’s 8 Mile is named after a road in which city?
55. In the year 2000, Kentwood, Louisiana, opened a museum dedicated to which 18-year-old songstress?
56. During the 1985 Live Aid concert, which musician performed in both the US and London?
57. Which Pink Floyd album features a prism on the cover?
Dark Side Of The Moon
58. In which year did Lionel Richie release “Hello?”
59. What General Hospital actor sang the hit 1984 song “All I Need”?
60. Which South African female rapper received global exposure with her song featuring John Cena?
61. John Lennon was a member of which famous British group?
62. What band’s original name was Warsaw?
63. In 2017, what was the name of the female artist with the most Spotify streams?
64. What 1983 song launched the career of 80s icon Cyndi Lauper?
“Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”
65. Justin Timberlake was once a member of which pop group?
66. What was the first song Depeche Mode officially recorded?
67. Who was the female lead singer for the band Berlin?
68. In which country did Kanye West live when he was ten years old?
69. What Friends actor jumps up on stage to dance with Bruce Springsteen in the “Dancing in the Dark” video?
70. On what date did MTV make its debut?
August 1, 1981
71. In 1968, Johnny Cash performed a concert at what California prison?
72. Who raps on Usher’s “Yeah”?
73. Before his illustrious solo career, Peter Gabriel was the lead singer for which band?
74. What is the name of the Post Malone song that opens the 2018 movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?
75. Which Country & Western singer-songwriter was awarded a special posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 2010 for songwriting?
76. Who is Warren G.’s more famous step-brother?
77. What artists made up the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys?
George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan
78. Which Canadian artist sang the love theme in Titanic, “My Heart Will Go On?”
79. What instrument is used by the indigenous people of Australia to accompany ceremonial dancing and singing?
80. Paul McCartney and John Lennon wrote which Rolling Stones song?
“I Wanna Be Your Man”
81. Who is the only solo artist to achieve more than five Billboard No. 1 singles before the age of 19
82. Will.i.am is best known for being part of which hip-hop group?
Black Eyed Peas
83. Art Garfunkel initially declined to sing one of Simon & Garfunkel’s biggest hits solo. Which song is it?
“Bridge Over Troubled Water”
84. What movie did Duran Duran get their name from?
85. Ozzy Osbourne was the lead vocalist of which classic heavy metal band?
86. Van Halen famously banned what color M&Ms in their rider?
87. Which classical composer was deaf?
Ludwig van Beethoven
88. What is the real name of B-Real from the hip-hop group Cypress Hill?
89. Which rockstars were known as “The Terror Twins?”
Steve Clark and Phil Collen of Def Leppard
90. How many members are there in the English ska group Madness?
91. Who was “All About That Bass” in 2014?
92. Which pop star played 27 different instruments on their debut album For You?
93. Taylor Swift wrote the song “We Are Never Getting Back Together” in reference to which of her ex-boyfriends?
94. Which Rolling Stones guitarist was found dead in a swimming pool in 1969?
Brian Jones Read
95. The sackbut was an early form of which musical instrument?
96. Who was the first woman to have four country albums reach No. 1 on the Billboard 200?
97. Which two country singers teamed up for the 2003 hit “Beer for My Horses?”
Toby Keith and Willie Nelson
98. What heavy metal band did Dave Mustaine play for before forming Megadeath?
99. Puerto Rican Benito singer and rapper Antonio Martínez Ocasio is better known by what two-word stage name?
100. What 3 Doors Down song references Superman?
101. Cardi B starred on what reality show?
Love & Hip Hop
102. What was the first rap single to hit the Billboard Top 40 and who performed it?
“Rapper’s Delight” by Sugarhill Gang
103. Which Creedence Clearwater Revival song was featured in the 1981 movie American Werewolf in London?
“Bad Moon Rising”
104. Before joining Nirvana, drummer Dave Grohl was part of which hardcore band?
105. Who sang the Spongebob Squarepants theme song for the movie?
106. Jared Leto is the frontman of what band?
30 Seconds to Mars
107. Which member of Kiss wore makeup to look like a cat?
108. The Wu-Tang Clan recommends protecting which body part?
109. Which Marvel movie’s soundtrack won two Grammys?
110. What Australian soap opera star charted with the song “Torn” in 1998?
See more about - 164 Movie Trivia Questions To Test Film Buffs