Top 60 Best Cool Backyard Ideas – Outdoor Retreat Designs
You can tell a lot about a man and the nature of his home just by catching a glimpse of his backyard space.
Is it sparse and poorly cared for, or well-curated and thoughtfully designed? Does his backyard design blend the natural world with his own domestic domain, and welcome guests and inhabitants alike no matter the time of year? Or does it appear as a barely acknowledged footnote, if not an outright inconvenience?
Small or expansive, a backyard is nothing short of paradise at your backdoor. From savvy English gardens to on-trend West Coast style spreads, there is truly no limit to the possibilities that await you. A backyard can be transformed into a Zen retreat, complete with rock gardens, manicured foliage, and even a koi pond, or a chic spa escape with meditative fountains and streamlined chaise lounges; the choice — and pleasure — is yours.
A superior backyard makes for superior living, period. It is a reminder that you need not invest large sums of money and time in flying to the far ends of the earth for a little R&R but need only step outside. The best backyards combine all the simplicity of time-honored joys with the eye appeal of modern design. No more mismatched lawn chairs and unsightly patches of neglected turf; it’s time to take your backyard landscape to the next level of outdoor living space design. And with warmer seasons just a month away, now is your moment to seize these cool backyard ideas and unique possibilities.
Cool Backyard Ideas
Set under the protection of a pergola with soft lighting, this is ideal for outdoor evening get-togethers. The elongated sets the mood, while the elegant staircase and runway are grand enough for an haute couture show.
Interesting and uniquely designed, great inspire stunning colors and innovative shapes. A built-in wall is constructed from brushed coral-hued stone and accented by deep fuchsia cushions. The breathtaking view is restorative.
Create an interesting by adding bricks and a as a centerpiece to your area. Bricks are a marvelous way to incorporate texture and visual stimulation into any . Vertical evergreen plants add additional organic textures and contrast.
This is the first place to go after coming home from a long stressful day. Relaxing with a glass of wine by the fire or simply taking a swim in one of the two pools provides an ambiance of ultra-modern chic and requiescence. Aquamarine cushions complemented by striped accent pillows top off this look.
Cylinder stools provide a within a wading pool set against the beauty of exotic wood, creating a spa-like atmosphere. The ambiance is laid-back and amiable. The resort-like design has a timeless feel with bespoke natural elements.
There’s plenty of with a myriad of entertainment possibilities in this large designed as a park with a playground and a . It’s a family affair with a unique for every age group.
This featuring a two-level man-made waterfall and pool with a lush mini-forest in the background provides a soothing balm for weary souls seeking respite from their stressful daily routines.
Here’s a : Simply install a hammock and add some decorative lighting fixtures to transform that into a relaxing oasis where you can just lie down and gaze at the stars. You don’t even need to hire a ; this could be your little .
This warm and cozy , created with blocks of neutral stone slabs and an array of textures and patterns, is ideal for entertaining or simply chilling out. The immense pergola provides adequate shade for sunny days, while the provides warmth for cool nights.
This setup is both tantalizing and soothing. It incorporates everything a courtyard vista should have with simplistic flair. There’s a place for lounging, swimming, or simply chatting with family and friends. The pearl-tinted stone adds an elegant dimension to the backdrop.
A large contemporary with an overhanging roof and modular for added entertainment is the epitome of cool . A stunning view takes this outstanding exterior blueprint to completion.
This beautiful Asian-inspired outdoor design for intimate gatherings is breathtaking. Whether you want to swim or take a walk around the pool, the tranquil atmosphere is all-encompassing. Strategically placed lighting makes the setting even more radiant and luxuriant.
A gable-roofed arbor provides shelter, privacy, and plenty of shade in this beautifully constructed setting. A dining area for quaint dinners and a swimming pool for late night swims is the ideal environment to wind down after a long day. Suspended ceiling fans help to keep the area pleasantly cool.
Hey, if you have the funds, why not put a life-sized chess set in your ? It has great entertainment value, and if you can actually play, that’s even better.
Who says that a bohemian-inspired look is not the place for a setting? Apparently, it works! Executed in the right manner, this outdoor down-to-earth style is just as comfortable as a set of cushiony chairs. Great for snacking with friends and family or meditating, studying, and chatting on your smartphone.
The view from the top makes this pool look Olympian. The crystal clear azure water is alluring and ripe for a refreshing dive. A herbaceous layout, comfortable , and an illuminating polish off this .
Country-inspired settings are just as stunning and stimulating as any other today. The accent pillows really bring out the rustic ambiance that makes this setting so unique. Primed wood panels complemented by additional organic materials and subtle lighting are romantic and cordial.
Recreation is the basic concept of this layout. A tennis area and a place for refreshing drinks after an intense workout make the both functional and placid. A symmetrical hardscape is balanced with lots of vegetation to create a beautiful overall .
Is there anything more calming than a placed smack in the center of a contemporary setting? are hot right now and many designers find unique ways to make them stand out like in the photo here. Adaptable to any outdoor design, regardless of the size of the area, this fiery feature is both warm and cozy. It’s practical as well.
Cool Backyard FAQ
What can I do with a small backyard?
With a bit of creative thinking, planning, and good, sound advice, you can turn your small backyard into something you’d be proud to show off. Whether your goal is to make the space appear larger – or perhaps you prefer a more intimate setting – or you simply want to rework what you already have. Anything is possible when you know what to do and how to do it.
Here are 6 simple small backyard ideas worth checking out:
- Add a fire – Make a small yard feel more welcoming by turning it into a hot spot. Place thoughtfully arranged outdoor furniture, preferably a set and grill, to create a miniature piazza. Then again, add a fire pit for chilly days and nights or a fountain as a focal point.
- Add a pergola or arbor – Durable structures like pergolas and arbors are prettifying for small yards. Decorate your edifice with climbing plants or place it tactically to highlight a view.
- Vertical trees – Plant trees that grow vertically as they take up less space. Leaner vegetation, like columnar evergreens, is great. Use a tiered planter for flowers or a medley of dwarf shrubs like boxwood and Japanese garden juniper. Hanging plants work as well.
- Remove barriers – Small backyards appear larger minus barriers like fences. Unobstructed views give the impression of a broader landscape. Of course, only go without a fence if it’s feasible.
- Keep it tidy – Clutter is distracting and an eyesore. Keep garden tools and other outdoor equipment in the garage. This will make your space look larger and harmonious.
- Create continuity with glass – Large windows and sliding glass doors create a continuous flow between the two areas making your small yard appear more usable and grander.
What can I do with a large backyard?
If you have a large backyard, the upkeep alone is probably enough to keep you busy. However, there are advantages to having such a large outdoor space and with determination, your ideas can gracefully materialize.
Here are 6 large backyard makeover ideas to help you create your dream landscape:
- Accent rug – How about a large outdoor accent rug? Adding a dash of color to your outdoor landscape is a great way to boost your backyard’s appearance on a budget without the hassle of painting or staining a deck.
- Pathway – DIY ideals like setting bricks, mulch, or large flagstones to create a pathway from your door to a gazebo or a designated area in your backyard is enchanting. Add a bit of panache to your pathway by placing colorful solar lights along the periphery.
- Outdoor kitchen – Consider installing an outdoor kitchen on the patio. Cooking outdoors is always pleasant and keeps the conversation and good times flowing. Plant overhanging vegetation to provide adequate shade during sunny days.
- Yurts – Yurts are much more than a tent. They can be used as a guest house, entertainment area, or pool house. If it’s doable, go for it!
- Treehouse – A treehouse is a fun backyard feature if you have children or even if you don’t. It depends on the design. As an alternative, construct a brightly hued settee along the circumference of a tree as a chill-out spot. A trellis will have the same effect as an outdoor relaxation spot.
- Mural – Draw a distinctive mural on your backyard fence. This is a great DIY idea if you’re on a tight budget but still want something awesome to make an impression.