46 St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Questions
Today is March 17, and while that might be an average day for most, it holds a special place in the hearts of the Irish. Known as Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, it marks the death of Saint Patrick (385-461), the foremost patron saint of Ireland. Saint Patrick was a 5th-century missionary and Bishop with a pretty wild childhood.
According to the Declaration, written by Patrick about his life, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders when he was 16 and put to work as a slave. After six years as a shepherd, he found God and escaped, making his way back home where he became a priest and dedicated his life to the church. Many legends about Saint Patrick came about during his life, such as St. Paddy driving out all the snakes from Ireland, making for great St. Partick’s Day trivia questions.
Saint Patrick died on March 17 and was buried at Downpatrick, a town in the north of Ireland. Over the centuries the stories surrounding the much-loved priest grew in stature, with the day of his death turned into a celebration. But it’s not just Ireland where St Patrick’s Day is celebrated, with many ex-pats living across the world also paying tribute to the fallen Saint, especially in North America. Although not a legal holiday in most countries, it is still a big occasion and is celebrated joyfully by millions of people across the globe, including those who aren’t Irish.
The day isn’t just a celebration of Saint Partick’s life either, with people wearing green clothing and drinking copious amounts of booze. Irish folk music, street parades, four-leaf clovers, and leprechauns are now all part of the annual celebration, although the connection between St. Paddy and his teachings and drinking green-colored beer is very thin.
This means it can be hard to separate fact from fiction and what the day is all about. That’s why we have come up with these St. Patricks Day trivia questions. These questions range from the history of the day to new customs and interesting facts associated with the famous day. Discover how much you really know about the big day and learn more about Saint Patrick in the process.
46 St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Questions
1. Where did the first St. Patrick’s Day parade take place?
In the Spanish colony in what is now St. Augustine, Florida in 1601.
2. Of which country is Saint Patrick the patron saint?
3. Each year in Chicago since 1962, the Plumber Union dyes what Kelly green?
4. Where and when was the first St. Patrick’s Day parade in Ireland?
1903 in the Irish town of Waterford.
5. When did the color green first become associated with Saint Patrick’s Day?
6. According to Irish legend, what animal did St. Patrick drive out of Ireland?
7. On St. Patrick’s Day in 2011, Irish-American astronaut Catherine Coleman celebrated the occasion in space by playing a century-old flute and a tin whistle belonging to what famous Irish music group?
8. To celebrate St. Patty’s Day in Ireland, Dublin hosts a huge festival that lasts how many days?
9. What’s the oldest pub in Ireland where you can enjoy a pint of Guinness on St. Patrick’s Day?
Sean’s Bar in Westmeath.
10. What demographic group was largely responsible for shifting St. Patrick’s Day from a religious observation to a secular one?
Irish immigrants in the United States.
11. Before becoming a priest, Saint Patrick was abducted and brought to Northern Ireland at what age?
12. What was St. Patrick’s Day originally meant to celebrate?
It was a day honoring Saint Patrick for introducing Christianity to Ireland during the 5th century.
13. Which best-selling Irish band features Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton, the Edge, and Bono?
14. What do the three leaves of a shamrock symbolize on St. Patrick’s Day?
The Holy Trinity – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
15. St. Patrick’s Day used to be a dry holiday up until which decade?
16. According to folklore, what’s a leprechaun’s occupation?
17. What was Saint Patrick’s birth name?
18. What major Catholic holiday does St. Patrick’s Day occur during?
19. Which breakfast cereal has “Lucky the Leprechaun” as its mascot?
20. What does the circle at the very center of a Celtic cross represent?
21. Where is the home of the biggest Saint Patrick’s Day celebration in South America?
22. What is a boxty?
An Irish potato cake.
23. Which song is known as the unofficial anthem of Dublin, Ireland?
“Molly Malone” by James Yorkston.
24. How many people visit New York’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral each year?
Over five million.
25. Name the giant, iconic Ferris wheel that turns green to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in England.
The London Eye.
26. Saint Patrick wasn’t actually Irish like many think. Where was he believed to have been born?
Scotland or Wales.
27. What year did St. Patrick’s Day switch over from a strictly holy day for Catholics to an official Irish public holiday?
28. According to Irish folklore, what will you find at the end of a rainbow?
A pot of gold.
29. How many pints of Guinness are consumed on St. Patrick’s Day?
More than 13 million worldwide.
30. When was the first ever St. Patrick’s Day parade held in New York City?
31. What meat and vegetable dish is a trademark St. Patrick’s Day meal?
Corned beef and cabbage.
32. What color was associated with St. Patricks Day before green?
33. How many Americans claim Irish ancestry?
34. What is the national flower/emblem of Ireland?
35. In Mumbai, India, what iconic structure is turned green each year to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
The Gateway of India
36. How many pounds of green vegetable dye are now used to turn the Chicago River green?
37. What did St. Patrick use shamrocks for?
To illustrate the Holy Trinity.
38. Which U.S. county has the highest number of people with Irish ancestry?
39. According to tradition, St. Patrick was the first bishop of what?
40. What are the odds of finding a four-leaf clover?
One in 10,000.
41. In which city is the largest St. Patrick’s Day parade held?
42. What would you use to make Irish coffee?
43. According to legend, where does a leprechaun hide its pot of gold at?
The end of a rainbow.
44. Which team in the NBA has a leprechaun as its mascot?
The Boston Celtics.
45. What does the popular Irish phrase “Erin go bragh” mean?
46. What Latin word is the name Patrick derived from?
See more about - The 10 Best Irish Drinks To Try This St. Patrick’s Day